By pressing the button of the watch, the app sends a BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) message that contains data on the pressed button and the type of press (single-click, double-click, or long hold).
First time setup.
There are plenty of functions that the user can try out on their smartwatch, but first, they need to connect it to the app. The Cogntieq team made sure that the process of pairing remains open and the app reads button presses using the GATT service.
If the Bluetooth connection with the watch is lost, the user will get a notification that the watch needs to be reconnected.
The main menu consists of bottom navigation. There are 3 selections available:
1. Whatch. The given section contains a virtual clock widget. The user should click buttons to assign actions to them.
2. Overview. This section gives a more complete idea of what action is assigned to each button and click.
3. Help. This section includes help texts.
To bring convenience and functionality to the app, our experts have organized all the actions to be taken with the watch into different groups and ensured their assignment to specific types of button presses.
Since some actions demand additional information, the user must grant the required OS permissions when adding an action. Otherwise, it cannot be added.
All exceptions (for instance, Internet connection problems) are handled according to the triggered action and displayed in the Notification Panel.
Actions are saved locally after every change. We used shared preferences to save a JSON representative of the watch model, which contains all the necessary data (MAC address, buttons with assigned actions).
Our highly qualified experts did their best to adapt the UI/UX of the app to Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.
English is the app's default language. If the translation is available, it is installed in the system language.
Here, users are able to:
- Select the type of press (single-tap, double-tap, or long-press) and decide on the action (to call, to send an alert, or play a sound) for each of them.
- Set the time on the watch.
- Unpair the watch, for example, to connect a new one.
- Delete the configured actions.
To get to know which of the actions are most popular with users, we have equipped the app with Firebase Analytics to collect statistics on the button clicks.